Member of Corporate & Commercial Department
Areas of Practice: Mergers and Acquisitions, Investment Advisory, Corporate Governance, Company Advisory, Company Regulatory, Employment and Labor Law, Media, Cross Border.
Nicholas first started his practice in 1997 as a civil and commercial litigator representing clients in mediation and judicial proceedings on a broad range of legal disputes including breach of contract, shareholder disputes, breach of directors' duties, cargo and shipping claims, IP infringements, debt recovery, personal injuries, employment, matrimonial, insolvency, and building and construction.
Nicholas became a member of Messrs. Kelvin Chia Partnership's Corporate and Commercial Department in 2001 and is presently a senior consultant of the firm. Nicholas' core practice areas revolves around providing general legal support to companies on an extensive range of corporate matters and commercial arrangements. He has extensive experience in:
- advising on statutory/regulatory compliance and common law issues
- assisting in the management and settlement of disputes by way of negotiations and mediation
- liaising on behalf of clients with governmental agencies on matter of regulatory compliance
- management of cross border transactions
- advising on and drafting of legal documents such as:
- partnership and shareholders agreement
- commercial, retail and residential lease agreements
- equity/asset sale and acquisition agreements
- financing agreements (shareholder loans, related company loans and guarantees)
- agreements for the supply of goods and services
- agreements for the appointment of distributors and agents
- joint venture and collaboration agreements
- IP licensing and franchise agreements
- wills and trusts
Nicholas also provides specialist advice in employment law and supports companies in their human resource management in the areas of employment law compliance; employment contracts, handbooks and policies; employee share schemes; employee transfers and secondments; termination and retrenchment exercises.
Nicholas has served local and multinational companies operating in the fields of private equity investments; contract manufacturing; global marketing and advertising; transportation and logistics; pharmaceuticals and medical devices; food and beverage; commodities trading; professional services and consultancy; electronics, payment system networks fashion and apparels; and REITs. He has also sat on various management committees and has served in the capacity of an independent director of a listed company.